Monday, February 27, 2012

Date 4: Dinner and a monster!

This was one of the easier dates to plan...because I didn't really have to plan it.  We had bought tickets to see Young Frankenstein the Musical months ago, well before the whole 52 Dates was even an idea.

We dressed nice, because we're cultured like that, and headed downtown.  The musical was at the Lied Center so we thought we'd use the gift card we tried to use on our last date and have dinner at Spaghetti Works.  No such luck.  We cruised around downtown looking for a parking spot, looking, looking. It wasn't that look, but it sure feels like it when you're on a schedule.  We found a spot in front of the Mary Riepma Ross Media Arts Center and walked over to Spaghetti Works.  As we're approaching the front door another couple beats us to it.  We follow them inside and find that it is STANDING ROOM only!  On a Saturday night in January!  Well, we're not using the gift card tonight.  The nearest options are Panera Bread, Five Guys Burgers and Qdoba.  Qdoba it is.

We walk around the corner to Qdoba, again another couple beats us to the door, but there is plenty of room and few people in line at the counter.  Now, what to order.  I like spicy food.  Wendy would tell you that I like "really" spicy food, the spicier the better.  I would agree, if I can get a nice sweat from my food, then you know it's spicy enough.  Gross, I know, but that's how I like it.  Beads of sweat rolling down my temples aren't quite what I'm going for tonight, I am on a date and kind of dressed up, so I go mild.

We enjoyed our dinner, tried to find a booth set off away from other patrons and I also didn't want to have a clear view to the TV.  We're here to be with each other and not for me to be watching the basketball game on the TV.  We talk about our days, Wendy's run, the kiddos, etc...  One of the guys behind the counter had a pretty sweet, ZZ Topesque beard.  We wondered how long it had taken him to grow it, eventually we was close enough for us to ask.  I don't recall specifically, but I'm thinking it was about 9 months.  We finish our dinner and head to the Lied Center to catch the show.

Young Frankenstein (the movie) was one of my favorite movies growing up.  My Uncle David had a laser disc player and we'd go over to my Grandpa Mar's house and watch movies.  It was the kind of humor that a 12-13yr old boy could understand and snicker at.  It has been many years since I'd watched the movie and I'd forgotten much of the story line, but I still remembered some of my favorite lines.  "Walk this way." "Nice knockers." I wasn't quite sure what to expect from the musical, but I hoped that those lines made it into the musical somehow.

We made it to our seats, in the balcony, but the nice thing about the Lied Center is that there really aren't bad seats.  We look over the programs.  Do some people watching.  And waiting for the light to go down and curtains up.  I hadn't realized that Mel Brooks wrote the musical also.  The creative talent of some people awes me.  The show was fun.  Amazing voices! And they worked "Walk this way" and "Nice knockers" into the musical!

Wendy introduced me to musicals.  Fun the things a guy will do to be with a girl.  I grew up thinking the musicals were "girly" and that as a masculine jock, I was too good for musicals and plays.  Now, I enjoy going to them and think that it would be so fun to be on stage, feeding off the energy of the crowd.

One of the things that I love about Wendy is she can sing!  I loved listening to her sing to our children when they were babies.  It is a talent that I wish I had.

I sure hope someone is working on turning "the Gods Must Be Crazy" into a musical.

Cost:  Dinner $17.  Tickets $96.00

No comments:

Post a Comment