Monday, January 16, 2012

Date 2: A trip to Pink Nails & Spa

One of my goals for this journey is to have new experiences with Wendy...well this was definitely a new experience (for me at least). I mean we could do 52 dinners & a movie, that's not really original, but it would be better than nothing.  There will be dinner & a movie dates in this journey because 52 is a big number to try to come up with 52 different dates.

So, the idea for this date came to me while I was driving home on our anniversary.  I knew that I was going to be needing a number of date ideas.  It just so happened that earlier that day Groupon had deal; $12 for $24 of services at Pink Nails & Spa.  As Gru from Despicable Me says "Light Bulb".  Here we go...date #2.  (I know what you're thinking, but Matt you are so masculine.  I know, I know, but I do have 5 sisters & 3 daughters, so I know how to get in-touch with my feminine side.)

I told Wendy about my idea for our date and she was game.  So now it was time to figure out what exactly had I signed up for?  I asked some of the gals at work what tips they had for me.  I got everything from ask for the "golfer's treatment" (a male pedicure) to pay attention to the hand signals (to deal with potential language barriers).  I learned that a pedicure was much, much more than getting your toenails painted.  The most common response was "I've always wanted to take my husband to get a pedicure."  Wendy said we'd probably need an appointments, so I set the appointment.


We dropped the Whitney and Simon off at my sister's house and headed to the appointment.  We got there a few minutes before our appointment and checked in.  Wendy was directed to pick out the color she wanted her toenails painted.  I looked around the salon and whataya know...I'm not the only male here.  There is a gentlemen sitting in one of the chairs with his jeans rolled up and feet in the bath.  We relaxed on the couch for a few minutes.

One of the things that I discovered is even though we had an "appointment" it really didn't mean we were getting into the chairs at 4:30.  I didn't really mind, I was enjoying spending some time in a new setting with my sweetie.  I found out that if you are a regular, you get your own little pencil case with "your" private tools.  There was a little round table, where the ladies stuck there toes, in those toe organizers under the blue light and gossip.  On the table is also a variety of sugar scrub "flavors."

We were called to our chairs.  First order of business, remove your shoes and socks.  Done.  Next, roll up your jeans.  (My 1st tip, be sure to wear looser fitting jeans...I was trying to look good for my wife and wore my "skinny rocker" jeans.  Not such a good idea, just sayin.)  Then you put your feet in the bath. (Tip #2, don't be afraid to ask for the water to be hot.  My water was lukewarm.  I had forgotten that one of the gals at work had told me to tell them to turn the hot "all the way up".)  Oh, did I mention, the chair that you sit in the entire time is a message chair!  I had that thing going the entire time!
 
Isn't she beautiful!
After letting your feet soak for a while, they got to work on your feet.
Clip & file the toe nails, hang nails & cuticles.  Pumice stone scrub your heels & feet. (I only jumped a couple of times from being ticklish.)


They massage your feet and calves, then came my favorite part of the entire experience...the exfoliation.  It began with the sugar scrub and then they put this blue lotion on your legs and wrap your legs in hot, damp towels.  The blue lotion has a tingly, warming sensation.  It is during this time that they'd paint your toenails if you were so inclined.

We had an enjoyable time.  There was plenty of time to just chat while our feet soaked.  The other gentleman in the salon was also there with his wife and told the gal working on him "You women have kept this (pedicures) a secret for too long."  I would agree, it felt wonderful and I don't feel like I had to give up my "man card" to do it.  It most definitely is something that I recommend all guys do with their girls.  (Ok, I admit that I don't think I would have gone and got one by myself.)  And my toes have never looked better! 
My foot is the one on the right.

Cost of the date:  $34.00 (2 $12 Groupons and $10 tip) and again utilized free babysitting! 

No comments:

Post a Comment