Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Happy Anniversary to my sweet heart!

My wife and I have been married for 17 years today.  That is 6,133 days longer than one recent celebrity marriage.  (Cliche alert) Much has changed and much has stayed the same!  Four children, a few career changes, a mortgage, a minivan and many wonderful times have got us to this point.

The thing about marriage is...it is work.  Sometimes, perhaps most of the time, it is hard work.  I believe that great marriages don't just happen, they are made.  You have to blend interests, habits, idiosyncrasies, tastes, likes, dislikes, TV shows (this is a little easier now with DVR!), principles, values and ideals.  At times during the last 17 years the amount of effort that I have put into my marriage has fluctuated.  This is natural, but I am determined to make a more consistent effort to work harder on my marriage.  In order to have the type of marriage that I want, I have to be willing to pay the price necessary for that.  I want to have a great marriage.

With that in mind, I am starting this blog.  As my anniversary gift to my wife, I am committing myself to taking her on a date 52 times this coming year!  And blogging about it.  I starting this blog for a couple of reasons.  The number 1 reason is accountability.  It's out there so I now I have to do it & whether anybody else reads this or not I've made a commitment to record the dates.  Number 2, hopefully this will inspire others to re-romance their significant others and improve their relationships.  Number 3, I'm going to need some ideas...I don't know that going out for 52 dinner's and a movies will yield the results I'm hoping to achieve, so I 'm going to need some ideas for some creative dates. 

So what do I hope to achieve with this...a stronger, closer marriage.  (Cliche alert) A happy wife makes for a happy home.  We start tonight...we are headed to Texas Roadhouse for dinner, where I will unveil this blog.

I <3 You Wendy! I am so excited to take this journey with you!  (And a little nervous...I've got a few date ideas but I'm going to need a lot more!)

4 comments:

  1. Matt!!! You are a genius!!!! I so love that you are doing this for Wendy!!! I can't wait to read about all of your fabulous dating adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm eagerly anticipating watching this play out. If you can do it maybe I can get Sterling to step up his game. I'd be interested to know the overall pricetag of these dates...did you get Maddie to give you guys free babysitting as an anniversary present? But budget conscience or not it has to be done...As you know, date night may not be cheap, but it's a heck of a lot cheaper than divorce.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. <3 this. Best blog ever, hands down.

    ReplyDelete